Pepper's Adventures in Time
Contest winners cameos
When visiting Goody in Act 3, two unusual-looking kids, named James and Nathan Grayson, are in her store. She can only offer them cabbage cookies, which General Pugh confiscates from them. After they leave the store, Goody explains to Pepper that they're from the far-off land of Sierra where they won a contest.
Pepper's many names
When Pepper distributes Franklin's pamphlet to the people of Philadelphia in act 5, they all ask her (/his) name, and each time Pepper gives a different one. These names are slightly altered names of famous newscasters:
- Lou Rant refers to Lou Grant, a newspaper editor in the American television drama series by the same name.
- Dan Blather refers to Dan Rather, an American journalist and the former news anchor for the CBS Evening News.
- Ed Madley refers to Ed Bradley, an American journalist, best known for 26 years of award-winning work on the CBS News television program 60 Minutes.
- Ezra Winfrey refers to Oprah Winfrey, an American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer, and philanthropist.
- Gerald O. Riviera refers to Geraldo Rivera, an American attorney, reporter, author, and talk show host.
- Donnie Chung refers to Connie Chung, an American journalist who has been an anchor and reporter for the US television news networks NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, and MSNBC.
- Bobby-Ray Walters refers to Barbara Walters, an American broadcast journalist, author and television personality.
- Morley Wafer refers to Morley Safer, a Canadian-American reporter and correspondent for CBS News, best known for his long tenure on the newsmagazine 60 Minutes.
- Walter Crankwright refers to Walter Cronkite, an American broadcast journalist, best known as anchorman for the CBS Evening News for 19 years.
In the post office, on the left wall, there is a portrait of "The famous Italian musician, Elvisantro Presligheri", a clear reference to Elvis Presley. In the maze of Penn Mansion, you can even run into him - from the maze entrance go straight to the end, turn left, turn right and open the door.
Notice by the way how similar he looks to Percy, General Pugh's butler? Perhaps Percy is secretly an Elvis impersonator to release some of that stress he endures from the Pugh family.