Mystery sounds through the haunted halls and rings from the rafters of a deserted museum. Was this place a failed dream or was it the waking nightmare of an eccentric old man? Where is the museum's creator, and the other ill-fated visitors who disappeared so long ago? You enter, with nothing but your wits to help you survive. Wretched spirits watch for the innocent, the unwary, ready to steal your life's essence. Can you hear the shrieks now, the howls and moans and wails? They're waiting for you.
- Experience spine-tingling first-person adventure
- Unravel a mysterious storyline full of twists and turns
- Witness ghostly live-action video sequences
- Explore a world filled with bizarre 3-D imagery
- Startle your senses with chilling music and eerie sound effects
- Roam at will through the museum - non-linear game play lets you re-visit puzzles that have stumped you
- Play again and again - location of items change and puzzles vary each time!
In Shivers, an adventure puzzle game designed by Marcia Bales, the player takes a dare from friends to spend a night in professor Windlenot's "Museum of the Strange and Unusual". The museum had yet to be opened and has been abandoned and forgotten ever since the professor has mysteriously disappeared 15 years ago, along with 2 students who are suspected to have wandered inside the museum. A collection of ancient South American vessels, believed to contain evil spirits, are removed from their display, opened and scattered all around the museum, with the spirits lurking in every corner. It is your task to find all the matching vessel parts, and capture them again before they can entirely drain your life essence. However, the task becomes harder as the entire museum is covered with puzzles which need to be solved in order to proceed.
Shivers was created with Sierra's SCI engine. It was released for Windows in 1995 and the Macintosh in 1996. The game has a sequel, Shivers 2: Harvest of Souls which is not related to the storyline of the first in the series.